Monday, March 4, 2013

Return of the Prodigal

Y'all, I have been so busy with this little book that I have not been blogging about it, but doing it.  Since it was published last June, we have sold nearly 500 copies of the darned thing and I made an appointment for another book event just this morning!

I had no idea how much interest there would be in this old information and am very, very grateful.

If you are on Facebook and would like to keep up with "Staubs" there, I made a page for it.  Here's the link-

https://www.facebook.com/staubsandditchwater

The big news I want to share with you are a couple of conferences and a research trip planned for the summer.  I will be presenting a paper at the Appalachian Studies Association conference in Boone at ASU on March 22-24.  The title is "Gnarly Roots: Exploring the British Sources of Appalachian Folk Magic."  I'm still working on it, of course, but hope to have a good rough draft by Wednesday.

I'm presenting at a conference in April called Sacred Landscapes. That one is in Columbia, SC and I'm presenting "Rock-candy Cairns: How the Irish and Scots-Irish Diasporas Produced Pagans in Old Appalachia."  Here's the link for that conference--

http://www.cherryhillseminary.org/students/degree-programs/intensives-and-conferences/ronald-hutton-featured-in-spring-chs-usc-symposium-more-info-tba/

Ronald Hutton is the keynote speaker and he was also at the Harvard conference that started this all so long ago.

And finally--I'm heading over to Britain in July to do some field research on the border reivers and to talk to folks who practice what I do, but over there.  It will be the basis of the sequel to "Staubs" which will be "Strange and Gnarly Roots: an Appalachian Spellcatcher in Britain" (or something like that).

I'll be tring to keep you posted here about the process and will give you some chances to participate in gathering information, if you're interested.

Thanks for checking back in with me!

2 comments:

  1. Darlin', go back and make the link into a working link. Because people like me are lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you published the "Rock-candy Cairns" on Academia or is it otherwise available?

    ReplyDelete